Writing a song is a creative process with many facets - writing lyrics, finding a matching melody, arranging the song, and even getting in touch with your emotions, or expressing yourself through the song. There are as many approaches to songwriting as there are songwriters. Here are some techniques used by ten very different people.
1. How to Write a Song - Songwriting Tips Technique Tutorial Lesson
Songwriting tips that incorporate mindmaps.
2. Learn How to Write a Beginner Song : Songwriting: Structure
Using structure as an aid to songwriting.
3. How To Write A Song by Jennifer Newberry
"I'm showing you how I write songs and to maybe inspire you to write your own:)"
4. How I write a song - Marie Digby
"I really wanted to put up a video for an original song because I've done a few covers for the last videos. Then I thought to myself, I've never put up a video as to how I write songs. There's no magic to it really but I thought some of you may find it kind of interesting to see how it goes. This was one inspired by my incredible grandmother who has been ill but has been fighting to stay alive...This song is actually not a downer! It's supposed to be inspirational and recognize how strong the human spirit can be..."
5. How to Write a Song Songwriting Tips and Chords of a Major Key - Theory of the Major Scale and Key
"7 chords that fit in a key and really only the first 6 are used in popular music. Learn these well and you will be invincible!!!!"
6. How To Write a Song #2 - How The Beatles wrote Cant Buy Me Love
"FREE songwriting lesson from http://www.HowToWriteaSong.net featuring a study of the 1964 Beatles classic Can't Buy Me Love. Learn how Paul McCartney would have chosen the chords, study the mechanics behind the song, and learn how YOU can apply the same techniques in your own music."
7. Songwriting Tips from Jason Blume
"A small sample of what Hit Songwriter, Jason Blume will teach at the 2007, TAXI Road Rally."
8. How to Write Better Songs with John Braheny
"Legendary songwriting coach and author of The Craft and Business of Songwriting, John Brahney, hanging with TAXI CEO, Michael Laskow, in his office."
9. Learn to write songs in 5 minutes - Chad Doucette
"This is Chad Doucette giving a great lesson on how to write songs. This is some great advice to listen up."
10. Contrasting the Verse and the Chorus - Songwriting Lesson
"Berkleemusic instructor Jimmy Kachulis explains how to create a chord progression for a verse and one for a chorus that uses some of the tools for harmonic contrast."
Study Music Online With Berklee
Are you a songwriter? What is your process? Which of these videos do you relate to? Which helped? Let us know in the comments.